Monday, August 11, 2008

Oh! Gag me...

So the Olympics have begun! Great stuff...I settle in to watch the opening ceremony over the weekend, very excited especially for those countries that are entering for the first time. I can feel the electricity of the moment inside the National Stadium at Beijing even though I am thousands of miles away. It was truely exciting. I waited patiently for my teams to arrive one by one, and being an African, my teams are surely those African countries that I feel an affinity for (wont indulge you with that info right now, but next time). Watching this on television means I have to rely on the commentators; those people who are employed to make comments and observations about an event...and I say this in the most cynical way :(

It is indeed a noble profession to be the one dishing out information especially to millions of people watching their screens at home, but;
My gripe is that since all we can hear over the noise of the multitudes in the statium are the commentators' voices, shouldn't we at least be given precise, accurate information about what we are looking at? I mean, does it take a lot to just do a little research about a person or place before you decide that you are going to comment about them? For years I have listened to and believed in commentators, I still do...but on Friday night I began having misgivings about what the commentators were telling us...right at the moment when the teams from countries that I know so well were entering the stadium. The comments were not accurate to begin with, but to top it off they were outright ignorant! I am not mad, but I am disgusted at the level of ignorance that we still have to listen to at these events. I can't say I trust whatever I hear coming out of their mouths, because besides being biased, they are resentful to some nations, thats my opinion anyway!
Should I now start watching the Olympics with the television volume on low, for fear of getting offended by the lies?...It is frustrating because I love the Olympics!...
I am proud of all those athletes who went to Beijing, China to represent my country in sports, and I will be sitting at home rooting for them all the way, with my volume down!

No comments: